Having a car doesn’t automatically assure you that you are safe from any harm when traveling. There are other elements that might put you in danger while you are on the road. One of the things that drivers might encounter while using their cars is fire. Whether you have a brand new car or not, you are still at risk to fire accidents. Here are some causes of fire emergencies that you should be aware of.
- Flaws in the design of your car. Electrical issues, leaks in the fuel tank, and faulty batteries are some of the common mistakes that can cause a car fire.
- Car accidents
- Electrical or mechanical failures with the car’s battery, heated seats, heating system, or due to aftermarket accessories.
- The engine can get too hot which leads to overheating.
- Leakage of your car’s transmission fluid, motor oil, fuel, power steering fluid, coolant, or brake fluid.
- Electrical short circuits
- Cigarettes can also be a hazard
- Best Car Fire Extinguishers
- 1. Eckler’s Premier Quality Products 61-261835 Fire Extinguisher, H3R MaxOut, Black, 2.5 Lb.
- 2. Fire Buckeye Equipment Type ABC Dry Chemical Fire Extinguishers, with 1 – Vehicle Brackets and 1 – Yellow Inspection Tag
- 3. FESA5 Auto Fire Extinguisher, Red by First Alert
- 4. FIAFESA5 – Fire Extinguisher For Gasoline/Oil/Grease/Electrical Fires
- 5. First Alert AF400 Tundra Fire Extinguishing Aerosol Spray
- Why Is It Important To Have A Car Fire Extinguisher?
- How To Look For The Best Car Fire Extinguisher
- Final Thoughts
Best Car Fire Extinguishers
Car fires are scary. However, if you don’t move immediately, you will suffer from damages. The best way to deal with these kinds of situation is to stay calm and use the best fire car extinguishers.
Having an outing or a road trip with your friends or family members is always fun. However, the long drive might expose you to a lot of dangers. What if your car breaks down? What if it overheats? Have peace of mind by being ready for such dangers.
Eckler is a company that has been in the car restoration for more than 50 years. So if you are looking for a brand that knows all about cars and car accidents, this is the team that you can trust. Their premier quality fire extinguisher has a solid built which is nice because this assures you that it won’t break easily when you drop it or when you encounter bumps while driving your car.
The black and slim design of this fire extinguisher would go well with your car’s dark interiors. Compared to the usual red paint of fire extinguishers, the black paint doesn’t stand out that much. If you are someone who doesn’t like the loud red color of fire extinguishers, you will love the H3R MaxOut’s black glossy finish.
You also don’t have to worry about the space that this extinguisher will take up. It has a dimension of 17 x 6 x 4.1 inches which is compact enough even for sedan owners. As for the weight, the H3R MaxOut only weighs around 6 pounds. You can easily put this under the front seat of your car.
- The black and glossy design looks nice.
- Lightweight and small
- You can put it anywhere you can reach it immediately in case of emergencies.
- Good brand
- Solid built
- The safety pin can be a little annoying because it keeps falling out.
2. Fire Buckeye Equipment Type ABC Dry Chemical Fire Extinguishers, with 1 – Vehicle Brackets and 1 – Yellow Inspection Tag
Another fire extinguisher that works properly is the Fire Buckeye Equipment fire extinguisher. The manufacturer made this product for various uses. You can use it at home and even in your car.
It has the regular design for fire extinguishers, however, it comes in a smaller size and lighter weight. You can bring it anywhere because it’s just the right size for vehicles. It also has a metal head in case you need to recharge your extinguisher. This item has a height of 14.75 inches so you don’t have to worry about carrying around a bulky fire extinguisher. If you buy something a lot bigger than this one, you might find it a nuisance in your car, especially for the passengers.
Meanwhile, the manufacturer also included a yellow inspection tag. This would be helpful when you try to inspect your extinguisher. You can keep track of its quality using the inspection tag. Another thing that comes with the package is the vehicle brackets. Now you don’t have to buy a separate bracket for your extinguisher.
As for the built of the item, the material used is very durable. However, the most important detail that you have to notice is that it can be used for fire types A, B, and C. This means you have a trusty fire extinguisher that works on any kind of material wherever you go.
- Can deal with Types ABC
- The red paint makes the extinguisher really noticeable. This would be great for emergency situations. You will be able to spot the extinguisher immediately even when you’re already panicking.
- The extinguisher has a diameter of 3.375 inches which is a size that is easy to grab in case of emergencies.
- The package doesn’t include straps or screws that will help you secure the bracket. You might have to purchase these separately.
Fire extinguishers don’t really have to look fancy. Your priority should be the quality of the item because it will save you from dangerous fire. This First Alert fire extinguisher is straightforward with its design. It has a simple structure that will make it easy to use whether you have experience in handling an extinguisher or not.
The body of the extinguisher is wrapped with an informative label. The instructions are easy to follow. Aside from this, the safety pin of the extinguisher is easy to pull. Accidents can happen anytime and you won’t know who might need to use this in the feature. It’s important for the extinguisher to be simple, that even your kids can operate it.
An additional feature that you’ll find really useful is the pressure checker at the top of the extinguisher. It looks like a green button located at the head of the extinguisher. You will be able to check the pressure by simply pushing it down. If the button goes up after pushing it down, this means that your extinguisher is in good condition. If it doesn’t go back up, it only means that you need to replace your extinguisher already.
A mounting bracket is also included in the package. You can use it to keep the fire extinguisher in place inside your car. However, if you already have straps or brackets, you can also use that instead.
- The design is simple and straightforward.
- The labels are not too crowded so you won’t get confused when you are trying to figure out how to use it.
- The pressure check feature is a nice addition to the extinguisher. It adds safety to you because you will always be able to check if the extinguisher is still good for usage.
- Free mounting brackets
- Just the right size for a car fire extinguisher
- Has a 10-year limited warranty from the manufacturer
- It is only made for fire types B and C.
If you are on a budget right now, this shouldn’t stop you from getting a fire extinguisher. It is extremely important especially if you are going to have a long road trip or you’ll be camping. You never know what you’ll encounter when you’re on the road.
The FIAFESA5 is another model from First Alert. It is slightly cheaper from the Auto Fire Extinguisher model but it also functions really well. It also comes with a mounting bracket which is really convenient.
Even if this fire extinguisher model is not as expensive as the others, it still comes from a reputable brand. The manufacturer assures you of good quality for the safety of their clients. This extinguisher is made for fire emergencies that might happen in your car. Aside from this, the product has a 5-year limited warranty from the manufacturer.
The cheaper price of this extinguisher is perfect for car owners who have multiple cars in their families. Even if you are on a budget, you will be able to equip each of your vehicles with fire extinguishers. As for the size, it’s compact enough to fit in some cars’ glove box.
- Cheaper than most fire extinguishers so you can buy more with your budget for your other cars.
- Has a very compact size
- 5-year limited warranty
- Free mounting bracket
- Great brand
- No screws are included in the package. You have to buy them separately.
Another product from First Alert is in aerosol form. This item might not have your regular fire extinguisher design, but it still does the job perfectly. Some people, especially young ones can get overwhelmed with the design of traditional fire extinguishers. If you don’t have experience in handling one, you might panic once you are already facing a fire emergency.
The design of the Tundra is much simpler and less overwhelming. Even kids can operate this fire extinguishing spray. The item looks like a simple spray bottle with the instructions on the label. It is portable enough so you can bring it around in your car or you can even get one for when you have a barbeque party with the family.
Tundra works even when you try to shoot it from a distance, just make sure to shoot at the base. Unlike other products, Tundra also has no pins that you have to remove before using it. It’s always ready and safe to be used. You can use it in your kitchen, when going camping, and when you are driving. It works on fabric, paper, wood, grease, and electrical fires.
- Simple design
- No pins which make it easier to use
- Clear instructions on the label
- Might not work with big fires
- The nozzle turns so you have to check where the hole of the nozzle is pointing before using it, or else, you will spray it in the wrong direction.
- Sprays very thin amount of the product.
Why Is It Important To Have A Car Fire Extinguisher?
Do you know that vehicle fires take more lives every year compared to apartment fires? Your family might have never encountered this kind of accident before, but it’s better to be ready for it just in case you have to face a fire emergency while driving on your own. If you don’t try to stop a vehicle fire immediately, it can be a threat not only to you but also to other drivers around you.
The flames can reach up to 10 feet away from the car. In addition to this, explosions can happen which can shoot debris and harm people. Having a car fire extinguisher will help you control the situation while you are waiting for the assistance of a professional.
How To Look For The Best Car Fire Extinguisher
The fire extinguishers in this list are just some of the products that you will see in the market today. When you look for car fire extinguishers online, Google will give you a long list of products from various brands that promise a lot of things to everyone. However, you cannot buy all of these products. You can only buy a few of them, so it’s important to know how you can spot the best car fire extinguishers among your huge number of choices.
- The Weight and Shape – A heavy and large fire extinguisher may be on your mind right now because you want to be ready for big fire emergencies. However, when you are traveling, you can’t always bring a large extinguisher with you especially if you are driving a sedan. You won’t be able to put it at the back when you have a lot of bags in the trunk, and placing it at the back seat will be impossible when you have passengers with you. In the end, you might even be forced to leave your fire extinguisher at home. This loses the purpose of your purchase. That’s why when buying a car fire extinguisher, you have to understand that the weight and shape matters. The ideal weight is 2lb. As for the shape, an elongated or cylindrical shape is more practical. You can easily stuff this under your seat or even in your glove box.
- Durability – Fact is, you won’t be encountering fire emergencies every day but being ready is important that’s why you have to always bring around an extinguisher in your car. Sometimes, you won’t even encounter an emergency until after a few years. If your extinguisher is not durable, it might break even before you have to use it. An aluminum material is good for extinguishers because it is corrosion-free and it doesn’t add a lot of weight.
- Easy and Ready To Be Used – Emergencies are unexpected events. You have to get an extinguisher that is simple enough to be operated so you can act fast and prevent the fire from spreading. There are extinguisher models today that are designed to allow inexperienced users to quickly understand how to use the item against fire. It would be better as well if the design is simple enough for kids to understand in case they are the ones who encounter the fire while waiting in your car.
- Mounting Brackets or Straps- When driving, you’ll encounter bumps along the road. To avoid the extinguisher from getting damaged, it needs to be safely stored inside your car. There are packages that come with mounting brackets so that you can easily install it inside the car.
- Warranty – This is also important. Checking the warranty terms of the item that you purchase will protect you from faulty manufacturing. If the seller offers a good warranty, that also means that they are confident about their product, and they won’t run away in case there are flaws in their item.
A lot of people only think about the fun that they will have when they go on long road trips or when they go camping with their friends. They neglect the possibility of encountering fire emergencies. If you don’t try to control this kind of situation immediately, the fire can spread and hurt people. One of the best ways to control such emergencies is by using a car fire extinguisher.
Among the huge options that we have in the market today, some of the best car fire extinguishers that you will find are listed in this article to help you choose which one to buy.
However, as a responsible buyer and car owner, you have to know your needs and priorities when looking for a fire extinguisher. If you want something that is affordable because you need to buy multiple extinguishers for your cars, then First Alert’s FIAFESA5 would be a great deal for you. It’s simple and cheap.
Meanwhile, if you don’t mind spending a little bit more for a really good extinguisher model, then the H3R MaxOut might be what you are looking for. It has a glossy black design and even weighs around the ideal weight for car extinguishers.