Any motorist knows that regularly changing the oil in your car is an essential routine of keeping it in tip-top shape. With the constant exposure to air and other elements, in the oil, small particles such as dust, dirt, and other contaminants can easily get in your car’s engine.
That is why installing an oil filter is critical if you want to keep your engine running smoothly. It serves as the first line of defense from any impurities that may build up inside your cat’s engine. Without an oil filter, your car and its engine will have a shorter life span.
An oil filter combines various components such as a tapping plate, a filter medium, an anti-drain back valve, a pleated center, and more. It ensures that all contaminants are filtered through its primary and secondary filters. The longer the filter you have, the better it removes any impurities.
- Best Oil Filter for Your Car
- 1. Subaru 15208AA15A Oil Filter
- 2. K&N HP-1003 Performance Wrench-Off Oil Filter
- 3. Motorcraft FL-820-S Oil Filter
- 4. Ford Racing M-6731-FL820 HD Racing Oil Filter
- 5. Mobil 1 M1-110 Extended Performance Oil Filter
- 6. Bosch 3330 Premium FILTECH Oil Filter
- 7. Motorcraft FL-2016 Oil Filter
- 8. Toyota Genuine Parts 90915-YZZF2 Oil Filter
- 9. Mann-Filter HU 816 X Metal-Free Oil Filter
- 10. FRAM XG7317 Ultra Synthetic Spin-On Oil Filter with SureGrip
- Best Oil Filter Buying Guide
Best Oil Filter for Your Car
Much like blood in a human’s body, oil is essential to keep your car going. And just like blood, your engine will suffer if it is constantly exposed to impure car oil. That is why oil filters play an important role in not only keeping your car healthy but your engine running for a very long time.
While it is easy to grab the very first oil filter that you see in the auto shop, it may be best to take a look at the options that you have. We took the time to test out and examine various oil filters in the market.
Below are ten of the best oil filters for your car. Also, do not miss out on our quick buying guide to help you out on your next purchase!
Let’s start off with something that is easy to purchase. If you own a Subaru, then Subaru 15208AA15A Oil Filter is your best option for an oil filter. It is specifically designed for Subaru vehicles as it is an OEM vehicle part. That means vehicle fitting is definitely guaranteed as it was developed for a specific vehicle brand.
Obviously, because it was created with a specific type of engine in mind, it is almost certain that the oil filter will do a great job in taking out impurities. Unwanted impurities are easily removed from the oil in your car.
- The oil filter is made specifically for Subaru vehicles.
- It is considered an OEM part.
- One of the best oil filters in the market.
- Expensive compared to other oil filter brands.
K&N HP-1003 Performance Wrench-Off Oil Filter is one of the most durable oil filters that we have tested. It performs well in many extreme conditions. Its filter walls are crafted with heavy-duty components that prevent any particles from damaging the housing. Additionally, it was also designed to accommodate oil pressures that are beyond normal without its filter bursting.
The oil filter unit comes with an integrated hex nut welded on its canister, so it is quite easy to attach using a wrench. It also prevents any potential dry starts as its anti-drain back valve keeps the oil from draining back when you are shutting down your car. Aside from cars, the oil filter is also highly recommended for motorcycles, trucks, SUVs, and even ATVs.
K&N HP-1003 Performance Wrench-Off Oil Filter can handle synthetic motor oils quite well. In fact, it is one of the best oil filters that we have tested with synthetic oils.
- The oil filter is durable and can withstand high oil pressures.
- The resin-impregnated filter material traps 99 percent of harmful oil impurities.
- The exposed hex nut makes installation and removal a breeze.
- While the hex nut is useful, it may not fit some sockets.
Motorcraft FL-820-S Oil Filter is crafted with the highest standards set by the Ford Motor Company. It was originally made for vehicles carrying the Lincoln, Ford, and Mercury brands. The premium filter protects your engine from fine impurities such as sand, carbon, and metal bits. It suspends the contaminants, which prevent them from circulating in your engine.
Additionally, the oil filter includes a pressure-relief valve that keeps unfiltered oil from going further into the engine. It also aids with the maintenance of the car’s oil supply, especially in colder months.
Its casing is made of painted and ironed steel that ensures a perfect fit. It also prevents any rust build-up. Also, the integrated silicon anti-drain back valves prevent oil from draining when the engine is off. It also protects the engine from the high levels of heat from within.
- The oil filter removes fine particles like sand, carbon, and bits of metal.
- It includes a dirt-collecting mechanism that effectively captures any impurities that may harm your engine.
- It is crafted under the strict standards of the Ford Motor Company.
- Some users report that the oil filter does not fit certain engine types.
This time, let us look at an oil filter that was specifically designed for high-performing engines. If you own a Ford Mustang or any car with a similar caliber, then Ford Racing M-6731-FL820 HD Racing Oil Filter is perfect for you. The filter is relatively bigger than the others on this list. That means its filtering space catches more impurities before they reach your engine.
Its well-designed build allows higher burst strength and can withstand considerable impulse fatigue. It combines cellulose-fiber materials with synthetic-polymer components that filter out 50 percent more impurities than your typical oil filter. It can also handle synthetic motor oil quite well.
- The oil filter is made for high-performing engines with its durable components.
- Filters 50 percent more than standard oil filters.
- Relatively bigger filtering space that allows more oil to pass through.
- It is significantly more expensive than your standard oil filter.
From one of the most popular producers of motor and synthetic oils, Mobil 1 M1-110 Extended Performance Oil Filter was crafted with the highest quality in mind. The oil filter incorporates cartridge filter and spin-on mechanism to ensure top performance. By utilizing premium synthetic fiber blend materials, it efficiently removes suspended particles in oils. In fact, it records a 99.6 percent in Multi-Pass Efficiency Rating.
The oil filter is one of the larger filters around with 28 grams of capacity. This allows more oil to pass through the filter. The high-quality form factor can withstand around nine times of typical system pressure. While it can handle practically any type of motor oil, it is best used with Mobil 1 motor oils.
- The oil filter effectively removes most of the oil impurities with a rating of 99.6 percent in Multi-Pass Efficiency.
- The combination of synthetic fiber components ensures top filtering performance.
- It has 28 grams of capacity, which is larger than most standard oil filters.
- Some customers report that the oil filter does not fit in their engines properly.
Bosch 3330 Premium FILTECH Oil Filter incorporates advanced media technology to integrate more filtering area in such a compact package. The filtering components make up around 42 percent of the internal parts. Additionally, it is made of filtering material that is 30 percent thicker than your typical oil filter. This ensures more impurities are caught before it circulates in your engine.
The overall build is made of premium housing and strong steel plates that prevent any unwanted leaks while ensuring a perfect fit. It includes a silicone anti-drain back valve, which means you will not experience any dry starts. The gasket keeps a tight seal using a high-quality lubricant that is easy to remove. It is ideally used with Castor motor oil.
- Bosch 3330 uses exclusive FILTECH media technology that ensures better filtering performance than most oil filters in the market.
- The well-made housing and steel plates can withstand any engine.
- The mixed blend of filtering material catches even the tiniest impurities.
- There are customers who reported minor leaks after installation.
- The filter may not fit some engines perfectly due to its slightly curved top.
Yet another Motorcraft product on this list, Motorcraft FL-2016 Oil Filter, is specifically made for diesel-powered vehicles. Much like all products under the brand, it strictly follows Ford’s quality standards. It includes a pressure-relief valve that prevents any impurities from circulating back into the engine. Additionally, it helps maintain the oil supply, especially during extreme weather conditions or if the oil filter clogs.
The durable oil filter removes fine dust, metal particles, and other contaminants before they damage the engine. It includes a painted case to minimize the build-up of rust. Additionally, the fluted form factor means it easily fits into most engines.
- Motorcraft FL-2016 Oil Filter is screened using Ford Motor Company’s quality standards, which ensures premium performance.
- It includes a pressure-relief valve that can withstand extreme heat or cold.
- The steel case is protected from rust and designed for easy installation.
- It is one of the most expensive filters that we have tested.
Toyota is one of the most recognizable automobile brands out there, and they have applied their expertise and experience to develop the Toyota Genuine Parts 90915-YZZF2 Oil Filter. The top-rated filter is one of the brand’s OEM vehicle parts. That means it will fit your Toyota vehicle perfectly.
The oil filter is made of high-quality material that removes common impurities found in most car oil products. It is easy to install as well as durable. While it is not the most premium item in this list, it does the job efficiently regardless of the motor oil type that you are using.
- The filter comes from one of the most recognized automobile brands, Toyota.
- It is affordable yet effective.
- Because it is a genuine OEM car part, it fits perfectly into your Toyota engine.
- Some customers report that it does not perfectly fit new Toyota models.
While not the cheapest in this list, Mann-Filter HU 816 X Metal-Free Oil Filter is an affordable oil filtering solution that does not skimp on quality. Its metal-free filter makes it element-friendly. Additionally, its high capacity ensures that it is filtering most, if not all, of the impurities in the car oil.
The tight pleated structure occupies a relatively bigger surface that makes filtering more efficient and effective. Because of its unique form factor, it can be easily replaced with a wrench and other removal tools that you already have in your toolbox.
- The oil filter is composed of metal-free materials that maintain high separation efficiency.
- It can hold a high capacity of impurities through its tight pleated design.
- It is easy to install and remove.
- The oil filter does not fit on some high-performance engines.
- Some users report leakage during extreme conditions.
If you mostly use synthetic oils on your vehicle, then FRAM XG7317 Ultra Synthetic Spin-On Oil Filter with SureGrip is an idea oil filter for you. Its filtering media is composed of dual-layered cellulose, and synthetic composes, which removes about 99 percent of impurities and particles from most motor oils. It also includes a metal screen that removes larger debris.
It was specifically designed for synthetic motor oils so you can maximize your engine’s performance. The filter is one of the most durable items in this list. It is reported to last 15,000 miles (about 24,000 km). The integrated SureGrip coating ensures that installation and removal are quick and easy.
- FRAM XG7317 is specifically crafted for synthetic engine oils for maximum performance.
- It is proven to remove fine impurities that are larger than 20 microns.
- The premium build with its reinforced metal screen ensures durability, which can last you up to 15, 000 miles.
- Some users report a build-up of rust due to its metal casing.
- While made to be long-lasting, leaks may form when constantly used in extreme weather conditions.
Best Oil Filter Buying Guide
Choosing the correct oil filter can be a daunting task. While it is not the priciest car part that you are going to purchase, you do not want to waste your hard-earned dollars for a filter that you cannot use.
While we thoroughly reviewed and tested the best ones above, you need to take a closer look if one of those options is right for your car’s engine. In this quick guide, we will help you identify the key features that you should consider and how to pick the right one for your car.
Parts of an Oil Filter
We have already mentioned the main purpose of the oil filter above. But, how exactly does it filter fine impurities in the motor oil? The compact body of the filter is composed of many parts:
- Shell – it makes up the outer layer that encases the entire filter. Typically, it is made from strong and durable material as it is constantly exposed to the elements and extreme temperatures inside your engine. It also acts as a containment unit of the particles that were filtered from the oil. It ensures that the debris does not circulate back to the rest of the engine.
- Seal – an end of the oil filter is open to allow the motor oil to pass through. Hence, there are parts that may introduce potential leaks. Manufacturers use sealants to prevent leakage from these areas. There are different types of seals, and they come in different qualities, as well.
- Filter media – it is the key component of the oil filter that separates particles and impurities that are suspended in the motor oil, Typically, filters are pleated paper or any synthetic material that is designed to catch various debris. Paper filters are typically 98 percent effective in catching contaminants. On the other hand, modern synthetic filtering media can remove up to 99 percent of the particles.
- Magnet – some filters may incorporate magnet in its filtering media. Metal particles in engine oil can significantly damage your car. By integrating a magnet inside the filter, it becomes a second line of defense just in case metallic impurities are accidentally pouring along with the motor oil.
- Check valve – this is an essential fail-safe feature of any oil filter. When your filter stops working either due to defects or clogged internals, it should still be able to let oil flow through, or else you will blow your engine. The check valve opens when the pressure inside the filter builds up, letting the oil flow through by bypassing the filtering media.
These components work together to ensure that the oil that goes through your engine is as clean as possible. Knowing how these parts work will allow you to understand its significance in keeping your engine running fully. Additionally, you can check for specific features that you may prefer for your engine.
Different Types of Oil Filters
Just like any other car parts, oil filters come in different types. New innovations in automobile technology mean engineers and experts are always looking for ways to ensure the health of the car engine. Here are the most common oil filters that you can find on the market.
- Mechanical Oil Filters – this type of filter is the most common in the market. Its filtering media is typically composed of pleated filter paper or cotton waste that catches any contaminants suspended in oil.
- Magnetic Oil Filters – this type of filter uses magnets or electromagnets to suspend magnetic particles from the motor oil. It prevents these particles from flowing through the engine. It is slightly better than mechanical types as you only need to clean the filtered debris without replacing the entire unit. However, some of its components may have significant effects on your engine.
- Spin-on and Cartridge Oil Filters – this type of filter have a self-contained cartridge or housing, and its components can be replaced. This makes installation and replacement relatively easy. Its compatibility with your engine will depend heavily on the form factor, materials used, filtering media, and other components.
- Sedimentation Filters – it uses gravity to suspend the impurities that are heavier than the engine oil. It traps these particles at the bottom of the filter container.
How To Choose the Best Oil Filter for Your Car
While an oil filter is not the most expensive car part that you are going to buy, you still do not want to waste your money from purchasing the wrong one. Oil filters vary in components, manufacturers, form factor, and even sizes.
Keep the following tips in mind when selecting the next oil filter for your car:
- Find the Right Size of Oil Filter – each oil filter differs in size, parts, body, and design. That is why it is critical that you know what type of oil filter fits in your car. Check the part number of your old oil filters. It is usually indicated in the user’s manual or on the body of the oil filter itself. If you cannot find the number, you can measure the diameter, width, and length of its body. Or, better yet, take the old oil filter to the automobile store so you can be extra sure that the new one fits perfectly.
- Check the Filter Material – The filter material affects the price and the performance significantly. Pleater paper is one of the most common materials around. It is also less expensive and typically filters about 97 to 98 percent of impurities. On the other hand, synthetic filters are a bit more pricey, but they can remove about 99% of contaminants.
- Take Note of the Mileage – Knowing when and how often to replace your oil filter will save you possible headaches in the future. Typically, manufacturers suggest changing your oil filter when you reach between 3000 to 5000 miles. In some cases, using high-grade filters and premium oil filters can extend the mileage before needing replacement. Make sure to check the mileage range indicated on the oil filter that you want.
There are countless oil filters in the market. That is why it is important to take note of the appropriate filter that is perfect for your car. It is not enough to choose the most expensive ones. Making sure that you know your car will save you from purchasing the wrong item.
Out of the many oil filters that we have tested, we choose Motorcraft FL-820-S Oil Filter to be among the best. While it is not the cheapest one on the list, it is not so expensive either. Additionally, it is used by most motorists as it fits many engine types. Of course, it is still best to check the form factor and the size before you buy it for yourself.