A car’s interior tells a lot about an individual as much as the vehicle’s interior does. You can easily tell if a car is well taken care of by the condition of the leather seats.
Keeping the leather car seats in its best condition is often complicated. It takes the most abuse, especially from sweat, dust, grime, and more. And, it takes worse when you have kids.
Maintaining the leather seats fresh and soft need not be expensive. Using the right leather conditioner not only cleans the seats but protects them from further damages. In this article, we’ve tested the ten best leather conditioners for your car.
- 10 Best Leather Conditioner for Cars
- 1. Lexol Leather Conditioner
- 2. Meguiar’s Gold Class Leather Conditioner
- 3. TriNova Leather Conditioner and Restorer
- 4. LeatherNu Complete Leather Color Restoration
- 5. Leather Honey Leather Conditioner
- 6. KevianClean Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
- 7. Leather CPR Cleaner & Conditioner
- 8. Chamberlain’s Leather Milk Conditioner and Cleaner
- 9. Weiman Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
- 10. Mr. Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
- Which Leather Conditioner for Cars Should You Buy?
- Essential Benefits To Look For in The Best Leather Conditioner for Cars
10 Best Leather Conditioner for Cars
Leather conditioners come in various types such as all-in-one conditioners and cleaners, restorers and more!
Lexol is a popular brand for a reason. They produce all-around leather care products from cleaners to convenient kits. It is used by both professionals and car owners.
The chemical-free conditioner formula restores oils used during the tanning process. It protects the leather from further damages such as cracking and fading. The odorless solution is easy to apply and leaves no greasy texture.
Lexol Leather Conditioner bonds with the fibers of the leather itself for better protection. The longer you leave the formula, the stronger it bonds with the leather.
- Popular and reliable brand
- Safe, chemical-free formula
- Odorless and non-greasy
- Easily moisturizes leather
- Lexol Leather Conditioner alone cannot clean leather
- Purchase of the leather care kit is required to enjoy a complete restoration
Meguiar’s Gold Class Leather Conditioner is a premium solution to keep your interior leather looking new for a long time. It combines specialized moisturizing oils and aloe to maintain the soft and supple feeling of the leather. Furthermore, UV protection prevents fading and aging.
Meguiar’s maintains the original look and feel of the leather without leaving any artificial sheen or gloss. It quickly moisturizes and protects the leather on first application. Also, it comes in a convenient and easy-to-use spray bottle.
- Combines aloe and specialized oils to moisturize the leather.
- UV Protection prevents aging and fading.
- Protects and moisturizes without any build-up, residue, or artificial gloss.
- The formula may come out of the spray bottle to strong which may splash to unwanted areas.
- Spray nozzle leaks after a few pumps.“
TriNova Leather Conditioner and Restorer is perfect for older leather and vinyl pieces. The non-toxic formula provides safe and effective protection. It adds suppleness and shine even on damaged leather surfaces.
Regular use of Trinova further prevents any cracking and drying by maintaining the leather’s softness. The solution repels snow, rain, and splashes which allows the leather to last longer. Also, it provides a rich leather fragrance that makes your interior smelling like new every time.
- Non-toxic formula.
- It provides ultimate protection to both new and old leather.
- Long-term protection from snow, rain, and splashes.
- Rich leather smell.
- It contains more oil than other formulas.
- The solution may smell too strong for some people.
LeatherNu Complete Leather Color Restoration was only once available to professionals which is proof of its premium quality. Luckily, it is now available in a do-it-yourself kit so you can treat your leather interior without the professional fee. It is an all-around, complete conditioning and repair set.
You can touch-up and re-dye worn and faded spots. With several colors available, you can match the exact color of your leather interior. The kit also comes with a repair compound, backing fabric, and grain paper which will allow you to repair cuts, tears, holes, burns, punctures, and more.
- Complete repair and conditioning kit.
- Retouch and re-dye any leather with several dye colors available.
- Repair physical damages like cuts, tears, holes, and more.
- The kit may be too complicated for some users.
- It only repairs minor physical damages.
Leather Honey Leather Conditioner is a well-known name in cleaning and conditioning various types of leather. The 50-year old formula lasts more than six months after just one application. It penetrates deeply into the leather which protects it beyond its surface and promotes flexibility.
The solution is non-toxic and non-solvent, which makes it perfect if you have kids or pets. It is also silicon-free and non-sticky, which means the application is a breeze. Furthermore, the odorless formula will protect your leather seats from water, rain, or snow.
- Non-toxic and all-natural formula.
- Long-lasting with only one application.
- Protects new leather and restores old leather.
- Non-solvent, non-sticky, and odorless.
- The conditioner does not easily apply evenly.
- Needs to set on the leather surface to ensure full effect
KevianClean Leather Conditioner is a complete, all-around cleaner and conditioner for various types of finished leather and vinyl surfaces. It is made from natural ingredients to ensure a safe formula, especially if you have children and pets. The solution not only conditions but cleans, protects, and extends the life of various leather materials.
KevianClean is formulated with high-grade organic, pH-balanced organic ingredients which means it will never harm your leather interior unlike other conditioners with harsh and synthetic chemicals. It cleans and conditions with only a small amount that penetrates deeply into the leather fibers.
- Developed using non-toxic, all-natural ingredients.
- Cleans and conditioners with only a small amount.
- Rejuvenates various types of leather, such as genuine, vintage, exotic, Italian, and more.
- It provides a new layer of protection from aging, cracking, and drying.
- The solution is not meant for unfinished leathers.
- May cause discoloration on some types of leather products.
Leather CPR Cleaner & Conditioner is an affordable 2-in-1 solution that saves you money and time. It rejuvenates damaged and fading leather interior which brings back its suppleness and flexibility. Its unique UV protection formula also helps extend the life of any leather surface.
The formula is dermatologist tested and made from cosmetic ingredients. That means it will not irritate the skin even if you have a sensitive one. It is non-greasy and completely safe to use on exotic types of leather materials such as alligator or ostrich.
- Cleans and protects using only one formula.
- Removes scratches, scruffs, and stains.
- Rejuvenates fading and worn-out leather.
- It can be safely used on soft and exotic leathers like ostrich and alligator.
- Formulated with 100% cosmetic ingredients and dermatology tested.
- May damage porous leathers such as suede.
Chamberlain’s Leather Milk Conditioner and Cleaner is an Earth-conscious brand that takes pride in formulating a solution that is both safe for humans and the environment. It uses a light emulsion of water and various oils to gently clean and condition leather. It is perfectly safe for nearly all types of leather from full-grained to deerskin.
The Leather Milk does not only clean but deeply penetrates the fibers which keep leather soft and supple for years to come. The optimal pH-balanced ingredients ensure that the solution will not cause damage to the surface of the leather. While it comes with a robust and subtle fragrance, it does not affect the natural smell of your leather.
- All-natural formula that is safe for both humans and the environment.
- The mild solution ensures complete rejuvenation of leather without damaging its natural characteristics.
- Enriches the natural color of leather without the use of dye.
- Versatile especially for light-colored and unfinished leather products.
- The solution is not meant for deep damages such as scratches and tears.
- Not completely water-proof.
- May take multiple applications to see significant effects.
Weiman is a popular brand of cleaning products which offers kits for stainless steel, cooktop, granite, floor, and, of course, leather. Weiman Leather Cleaner and Conditioner boasts an all-natural formula that effectively cleans leather surfaces and protects from further damage from dirt and residue build-up.
The solution incorporates six types of natural oils that restore, soften, and moisturize your leather interior. Furthermore, it adds a layer of UVX-15 sunscreen protection that prevents further damages from the sun. Weiman comes in an easy-to-use spray bottle.
- Non-toxic and all-natural formula.
- Effectively cleans leather without using harsh chemicals.
- Combines six types of natural oils.
- Formulated with UVX-15 sunscreen protection.
- May take multiple applications to notice significant conditioning effects.
- It affects the natural shine of some types of leather.
Mr. Leather Cleaner and Conditioner is a good alternative to more popular and much more expensive brands, especially for day-to-day leather care. It is designed to work on most leather products from shoes to car seats. The product claims to be specially engineered to work on thick hides.
Just like most popular cleaners and conditioners, it removes grimes and dirt while making sure that the leather stays supple and soft. It restores the natural shine of the surface without the grease. Additionally, it moisturizes old and cracking leather to bring it back to life.
- Best for day-to-day leather care.
- Works on real and synthetic leather.
- Removes build-up dirt while adding a natural shine to the surface.
- It comes in an easy spray bottle.
- May not be effective in leather surfaces with severe discoloration and damages.
Your car’s interior deserves the same tender, love, and care as your exterior. And, in most cases, so much more so. A well-cared leather interior might be easy to clean but very touch to maintain.
Unlike synthetic materials like vinyl or plastic, leather is very similar to your skin. That means it takes more than cleaning to make your interior last for years. If you are still confused as to how to take care of your leather interior and which conditioner to use, read on.
Why Do You Need a Leather Conditioner for cars?
Leather more than cleaning if you desire to enjoy the same quality for a long time. Everyone loves the smell and feel of a new car and its interior. And, it would be amazing to have the same quality of leather for as long as possible.
Cleaning is just the first step in caring for the material. However, it is exposed to dirt, soil, and dust. Water, spills, leaks, and other liquid are particularly harsh to the surface as well. Even if you manage to be very careful, regular exposure to the sun and light eventually causes fading and wearing of the color.
Additionally, constant cleaning dries out the leather, which causes cracking, tearing, and degradation of the overall integrity of the material. Using harsh cleaners also accelerates the damages.
Before Applying the Best Leather Conditioner for Cars
Cleaning is an essential step before you even consider using a leather conditioner. Removing any larger debris and particles on all surfaces is essential before a new layer of product is introduced.
Start by vacuuming the entire interior of your car. Make sure that you get everything from all nooks and crannies. Then, wipe the whole interior with a damp cloth to get rid of the finer particles.
Some may suggest using soap, and if you do, make sure that you are using a mild soap and lukewarm water to form a mild cleaning solution. Use a soft microfiber cloth to clean the surface of the leather. The cloth should be damp and not dripping.
The same tips apply if you are using a commercial-grade cleaning solution.
After thoroughly cleaning every surface, test the conditioner on a small section of the surface. Choose somewhere that is not easily noticeable. Apply as directed by the manufacturer
Whether you are still testing the product or in the process of treating the entire interior, never deviate from the instructions provided in the packaging. It is also important to determine the type of leather that you have way before you choose a conditioner. Some products are harmful to certain types of leather.
Essential Benefits To Look For in The Best Leather Conditioner for Cars
So, you’ve already cleaned your car’s leather interior. Which leather conditioner should you buy?
It is worthwhile to research the product that you desire thoroughly. Make sure that you include consumer reviews and consider their experiences as well.
Whether you are going for a premium leather conditioner for cars or a product that you can use all the time, you must look for the following essential benefits:
All-In-One vs. Conditioner
Some products promise an all-around solution to clean, condition, and rejuvenate leather. If your leather interior is relatively new, all-in-on solutions are perfectly fine, especially for providing daily protection. However, if you are dealing with older or damaged leather, a dedicated conditioner is required.
Balanced pH Formula
You do not want to damage the leather while trying to protect it. Look for products with indicated balanced pH formula. Products with organic ingredients are typically safe for most kinds of leather.
No Residue and Discoloration
You do not want a nasty surprise after the conditioner dries off. Some cheaper solutions leave nasty discoloration and residue due to harsh chemicals used in the formula. That is why it is essential to read user reviews to avoid buying the wrong product.
Deep Finish vs Extra Shine
This really depends on your preference. However, note that conditioners that provide extra shine are usually greasy compared to products that result in deep finish.
Just like the previous tip, this depends on you. If you have new leather, you may not want to use conditioners with a significant smell in them. However, for older leather, a robust and mild fragrance is the way to go.
The tips above will only work if you do your research. Products vary as much as leather does, so you need to find the best leather conditioner for cars that matches your type of leather interior.
Aside from your car interior, you may want to consider a conditioner that you can use on various leather products such as your shoes, bags, jackets, and more. Not only that is is economical; the best conditioner often has a mild formula which makes it perfect for most leather types.
We like any of our picks for the best leather conditioner, but we just love Chamberlain’s Leather Milk Conditioner and Cleaner. The all-natural and mild formula ensures that it will not damage your interior leather from premium types to everyday leather. You only need a small amount to remove grime and dirt.
It also maintains the leather’s soft and supple quality without the need for complicated steps. Aside from its effectiveness, Chamberlain’s Conditioner proves to be a good value for your money as the six oz.-bottle lasts for a while.
Do not forget to have the right tools to complement the leather conditioner such as a microfiber towel, an effective leather cleaner, and more.