When you are carrying a trailer, it is normal to worry about the valuable things that you have in there. Any trailer owner is familiar with the anxiety of leaving it unattended. Thankfully, you can rely on hitch locks that will keep your trailer securely attached to your vehicle.
A trailer hitch lock is a simple solution that keeps your receiver and trailer together. It prevents other vehicles from connecting to the latter. The extra security will allow you to leave your belongings with peace of mind.
- Top 10 Best Trailer Hitch Lock
- 1. Connor 1615190 Receiver Lock
- 2. Master Lock 2866DAT
- 3. Tow Ready 63228 ‘Gorilla Guard’ Coupler Lock
- 4. Trimax UMAX100 Premium Universal Trailer Hitch Lock
- 5. AMPLock U-BRP2516 RV and Trailer Coupler Lock
- 6. CURT 23518 Black Trailer Hitch Lock
- 7. REESE Towpower 72783 Universal Coupler Lock
- 8. Cocoweb C-Lock Heavy Duty Lock
- 9. Ohuhu Receiver Hitch Pin Lock
- 10. Master Lock 377KA
- Trailer Hitch Lock Buying Guide
Top 10 Best Trailer Hitch Lock
Trailer hitch locks come in different varieties and sizes. That means it is guaranteed that you will find the right one for your trailer. It is important to carefully choose the best option available as it stands between your trailer and potential thieves.
In this article, we examined various lock options on the market, and we came up with the ten best ones. Do not miss the buying guide to help you decide on your next purchase.
Connor 1615190 Receiver Lock features a simple design yet effective form of a lockable hitch pin. It features a one-of-a-kin automatic lock and release functionality. Which means you can easily remove the key after the device is unlocked. This reduces the frustrating part of leaving the keys on the hitch lock.
Additionally, the overall form factor has minimal moving parts, which makes it durable and less likely to sustain damage. It includes a rubber cap which effectively keeps dirt, dust, and even extreme weather conditions out of the internal mechanisms. The extra-grippy design also keeps moisture out and minimizes the possibility of corrosion and rust build-up. The simple design also means it fits many types of standard hitch receivers.
- Simple yet effective lockable hitch pin design.
- Includes a rubber cap that keeps dirt and elements from damaging the internal parts.
- Fits many types of hitch receivers.
- The grippy design prevents corrosion.
- The package includes a spare key.
- Some users report that the hitch lock cannot withstand use during winter.
Master Lock 2866DAT Hitch Lock is one of the most versatile and cost-efficient options in the market. The design allows the locking head to rotate 360 degrees, which makes it very easy to fit and detach. The hitch lock is quite sturdy and can carry up to 3,500 pounds (about 1,600 kg). This means you can tow practically any type of payload.
The hitch lock features a four-pin cylinder that adds a layer of security. The design prevents typical lock picking. It also includes a snap-on cover that prevents dirt and dust that could damage the lock. Additionally, it prevents rusting by keeping water and moisture away. Many customers report that Master Lock 2866DAT Hitch Lock is one of the easiest locks to use.
- Master Lock 2866DAT Hitch Lock features an intuitive and easy-to-use design.
- Can load up to 3,500 pounds (about 1,600 kg) payload.
- Features an anti-theft four-pin cylinder mechanism.
- The snap-on cover prevents any debris or moisture from damaging the internal parts.
- There is a noticeable wobble when used in certain types of hitch receiver.
Tow Ready 63228 ‘Gorilla Guard’ Coupler Lock is one of the solidly built varieties out there. It is also one of the easiest hitch locks to use. The lock features a heavy-duty design that fits a standard 2-inch trailer couple. Additionally, its anti-theft design can withstand significant blogs from a hammer.
Many users report that it is the easiest hitch lock to use. However, many are also concerned that it is heavier than the typical variety in the market. Typical packages include a spare key and a one-year warranty.
- Tow Ready 63228 ‘Gorilla Guard’ Coupler Lock is perfect for many 2-inch trailer receivers.
- Features one of the toughest form factors in the market which can withstand hammer blows.
- One of the easiest to fit and remove.
- Most packages include one-year limited warranty.
- Some customers report that Tow Ready 63228 ‘Gorilla Guard’ Coupler Lock does not fit 2-inch hitches with metal curves
If you are looking for a general use hitch lock, then Trimax UMAX100 Premium Universal Trailer Hitch Lock is your best bet. The trailer ball lock includes a distinctive design that allows 360 degrees rotation. The form factor also prevents common methods of lock picking and theft. The keyhole is protected by a durable cap that keeps debris and water away from the locking mechanism. This prevents corrosion and internal damages.
The hitch lock also has enhanced durability with its ballistic grade nylon protection that can withstand abuse. Installing the lock is quick and easy, as well. Just slide the ball in the coupler, then replace the U-shackle to lock it in place. Trimax UMAX100 Premium Universal lock is a versatile and sturdy option to keep your trailer and payload safe from theft.
- Trimax UMAX100 Premium Universal lock features a design that fits many types of couplers.
- Includes 360 degrees anti-theft protection.
- The extremely durable ballistic grade nylon body prevents damages and abuse.
- The sturdy cap prevents any elements and debris from corrosion.
- One of the easiest hitch lock to install and remove.
- The lock may not fit snugly on some types of trailer receivers.
Just like the name says, AMPLock U-BRP2516 RV and Trailer Coupler Lock is strong enough to be used on something as large as an RV. AMPLock developed its own push and lock system that makes it one of the most secure systems while maintaining user-friendliness. Installation is as easy as mounting the mechanism on your trailer, and that’s it.
The form factor and material used are rust-resistant and can be used in many types of weather conditions. Aside from the typical lock and key combination, it also includes a unique identification key system. This adds a much needed extra layer of protection that will deter even the most notorious pickpockets out there.
- AMPLock U-BRP2516 RV and Trailer Coupler Lock features a unique push and lock system that makes installation a breeze without sacrificing security.
- Adds a layer of security with its identification key system along with the key and lock combination.
- Can withstand any type of weather condition.
- One of the most expensive hitch lock on this list.
CURT 23518 is another great option if you want a hitch lock that is both easy to use and secure. The hitch ball mount ensures that it cannot be picked by any thief. The locking pin is constructed with high-strength steel material that adds a layer of protection. The barbell-like design is simple to lock and unlock with just a quarter turn.
The diameter of the pin is about ⅝-inch combined with about 3 inches of usable length. This means it can fit many receivers. The internal parts are protected by the included watertight cap. It shields the entire lock from rush and dirt that could significantly damage the inner mechanisms.
- CURT 23518 Black Trailer Hitch Lock is compatible with a majority of 2-inch hitch receivers.
- Easy to lock and unlock with just a quarter twist.
- Includes a watertight dust cap that keeps the elements away from the internal parts.
- Made from high-quality steel design.
- The device is not compatible with double-walled receiver tubes.
If you are having trouble finding the right hitch lock that could fit your receiver, then REESE Towpower 72783 Universal Coupler Lock might just do the trick. The lock was crafted to first any type of receiver. It features a ratchet system with 11 different locking configurations that are guaranteed to fit your trailer. It was tested to deter prying, picking, and even drill outs.
It is made from durable and premium aluminum combined with high-quality steel. The body is protected with anti-rust paint, which ensures that the lock will last for a long time. Additionally, the bright yellow color is enough to discourage many thieves from making an attempt.
- REESE Towpower 72783 Universal Coupler Lock is made to fit many types of receivers.
- The hitch lock features 11 different locking positions that ensure versatility.
- The form factor is resistant to thieves.
- Created using high-quality aluminum and premium steel materials.
- The hitch lock will not fit a tongue width of more than four inches.
Cocoweb C-Lock Heavy Duty Lock is another easy to install hitch lock if you are looking for a no-fuss solution. It keeps your trailer secure with a simple design. The product was created to work with industry-standard receivers that are around ⅝ inches. You do not need to mount or drill, just slide the pin and lock it.
The compact lock sports a rubber cap that protects it from moisture and dirt that can be damaging to its internal parts. That means you can use the C-lock for many years to come. The barbell locking design ensures that you have a snug fit every time.
- Cocoweb C-Lock Heavy Duty Lock is an easy-to-install option if you want a durable hitch lock option.
- The locking hitch pin will fit any ⅝-inch receiver.
- The barbell design ensures a tight fit.
- Some customers report that Cocoweb C-Lock Heavy Duty Lock is not suitable for use during winter.
Ohuhu Receiver Hitch Pin Lock is an affordable option that is a perfect back up for your primary hitch lock. The device is chrome coated to prevent any rust build-up. Just like any standard hitch pin type, it can be installed with a simple push. However, despite its simple design, it can carry loads weighing more than 3,000 pounds (more than 1,300 kg).
The high-quality steel used in the body is also weather resistant. Much like the other options in this list, it sports a dust-resistant cap that prevents any debris from getting in the internal mechanism. Its three-piece design is also compact and easy to carry anywhere.
- Ohuhu Receiver Hitch Pin Lock can carry more than 3,000 pounds of payload.
- Crafted using premium steel with chrome coating to prevent corrosion and rust.
- Includes a standard weather-resistant cap.
- The three-piece design is compact and easy to disassemble.
- The inner material is reported to easily rust when the chrome coating chips off.
Master Lock is another popular maker of hitch locks, and the 377KA model is one of their best products. The unique design was created to be versatile and easy to use. The entire body of the device is protected from corrosion and rust with its coating. That means you can take this hitch lock on long travels and road trips.
Many users report that the lock is tough and can resist any attempts at picking or breaking using hammers. It is perfect for trailers, RVs, and other heavy payloads. The entire body of the lock was created using zinc, which ensures strength and durability.
- Master Lock 377KA is a heavy-duty hitch lock that can be used on trailers, RVs, and other types of vehicles with standard receivers.
- The zinc body prevents rust and corrosion caused by moisture and rain.
- It features a unique design that deters thieves.
- Users report that keys for Master Lock 377KA may be the same.
Trailer Hitch Lock Buying Guide
While we have picked the best trailer hitch lock in the list above, you may still want to check out various options that will fit your vehicle. There are so many models and brands that you can try out. However, it can be daunting to choose from countless options.
There are things that you should consider to protect your trailer from getting stolen. And, that starts with picking the right lock that will deter criminals. Additionally, the hitch lock that you pick should last for a long time.
Tips To Protect Your Trailer From Theft
The convenience of being able to bring your trailer during your trips also comes with the anxiety of protecting your valuable belongings. Here are some things that you may want to keep in mind to avoid disasters on the road:
- The first thing that you want to do is purchase a wheel lock. Combined with a hitch lock, this ensures that you have layers of protection from would-be thieves. Wheel locks are similar to those used by authorities on illegally parked cars. Not only it will prevent your trailer from being carried away, but it is also more than enough to deter anyone from trying anything nefarious.
- If you can get the option to rent a storage space, you may want to do so, especially if you are planning to stay in an area for quite a while. An empty trailer is less attractive to criminals.
- Do not forget insurance. This is especially critical if you spend a lot of time on the road. Aside from theft, your trailer can be damaged in an accident or extreme weather conditions.
- When you do not have the budget yet for a wheel lock or a proper hitch lock, removing a wheel may just be a simple solution for the meantime.
- You can add another layer of protection by installing a GPS device in your trailer. Sometimes, even the best security locks can be bested by determined and experienced thieves. Having a GPS tracker ensures that you and the authorities can track your trailer in worse scenarios.
Security is something that you want to invest in, especially when you spend a lot of time traveling with your trailer. Having various security mechanisms in place ensures that you can leave your belongings without having to worry about it constantly.
Consider These For Your Next Trailer Hitch Lock
Going to the automobile or specialty store to buy a security lock can be overwhelming, with hundreds of options available. However, you can make purchasing easily by considering the following features and characteristics.
- Always check the design and the size of your receiver before even considering a visit to the store. The ideal option is to find a drop hitch or something similar that will fit snugly with your trailer. However, a universal hitch lock is also a great option as these are adjustable.
- The style also comes into consideration, such as hitch pins or couple locks. You may also want to consider the form factor and the material used. Additionally, you may want to choose a design that looks intimidating to thieves.
- Along with style, keep in mind that you will be using the hitch lock all the time. That means you need to think about how easy it is to lock and unlock without sacrificing its security features.
- Hitch locks are made from various materials. Steel, aluminum, and rubber are common ones found in popular brands. These also affect the budget, so you may want to find a balance between value for your money and the features that you want from the hitch lock.
At the end of the day, your budget will be a significant factor in choosing a trailer hitch lock. With many options available, you will definitely find the best one that fits your price range without missing out on the core security features. You may want to consider trusted brands as these often perform better than generic ones.
Out of the trailer hitch locks that we have tested, we consider Master Lock 2866DAT Hitch Lock as the best option that balances price and features. While it is not the most fully-featured one on the list, it is a good basic lock that will ensure full security and prevent any thief from taking interest from your trailer.